A Self-Help Blog for Myself and You - Mission: Find more Reasons to Smile!

A SELF-HELP BLOG FOR MYSELF

This is a blog to help me attain my main goal: Happiness. A place to help us Vancouverites reach out to one another on a day to day basis. A how-to on simply smiling to spread more joy in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I will engage, inspire, motivate, lament, reflect, vent, rage, ridicule, and share my personal stories (check out My evil twin Judy's on-line dating journal).

My Mission: Change the Face of Vancouver
Time Line: As Long as it Takes

Why?: To retain My Will to Live


FOLLOW ME!

BECOME A PART OF THE SMILE MOVEMENT!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Gourmet Meal for One? Wine Not?

Fresh Leaves with ground beets, petite tomatoes, tuna, homemade guacamole, goat cheese, and walnuts
I've been on my own most of my life but having been a teacher for a lot of it I didn't always have the cash to dine the way a princess deserves to dine.  But, my tastes are definitely up there.  So, what's a gal to do?  I tell you what she does:  she starts cooking, creating, listening to music while the inspiration builds, sips wine throughout the process, thinks about how great her body will feel once these nutrients take effect, makes sure that the flavors match, plates it beautifully, and then dines. 

I have a friend who has never lived alone.  When I let her know that I am cooking up a feast for myself of halibut stuffed with a combination of carrots, celery, butter, garlic, and breadcrumbs with a side of whipped yams she wonders if I am sane, stating, " How can you cook for yourself?"  If not me, then who?  Let's face it, I love myself more than I love anyone else.  So, why wouldn't I then feed myself such delectables?  Why would I have to wait for company to put together an epicurean feast?  That's right: no reason. 

So, there's my bit on caring for ourselves.  And if caring means running an aromatherapy bath, pouring a glass of wine, grabbing a gourmet chocolate bar with a great book, and then jumping in and melting the day away - then so be it.  Who said we couldn't have as much fun when alone?  Why do we feel like we are wasting time if we are focusing on pampering ourselves?  Yes, love others.  Yes, make the calls and set up plans and help out your friends and neighbours, but you really can't do it fully charged unless you care for yourself first.

Oh, and while I was slowly savoring my salad last night, I was smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment