A Self-Help Blog for Myself and You - Mission: Find more Reasons to Smile!

A SELF-HELP BLOG FOR MYSELF

This is a blog to help me attain my main goal: Happiness. A place to help us Vancouverites reach out to one another on a day to day basis. A how-to on simply smiling to spread more joy in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I will engage, inspire, motivate, lament, reflect, vent, rage, ridicule, and share my personal stories (check out My evil twin Judy's on-line dating journal).

My Mission: Change the Face of Vancouver
Time Line: As Long as it Takes

Why?: To retain My Will to Live


FOLLOW ME!

BECOME A PART OF THE SMILE MOVEMENT!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Familiar Strangers - we all have'm!

So, you walk down the same street, hallway, stairwell, or mall and see, yet again that girl, or that guy, whom you always see.  Thinking, "that shirt looks so much better on him than that orange one he was wearing two days ago," or "hey, she got a new haircut!  Looks awesome!" you continue on your merry way.  Nary a word was shared - only eyes darting ever so quickly towards one another and away again.  How many familiar strangers do we all have?  I don't know but I've got a plan.

So, what say we break the pattern and begin by, oh, nodding with that I know you know that I know that we see each other on a regular basis. I see you - you exist - and you is A Otay in my book!  Start with that. I don't want to scare Vancouverites into true, east coast friendliness so let's start with the you exist in my world acknowledgment.  The other day, on a rocky, secluded unofficial dog beach, I met this young family.  The woman and I got along famously and I mentioned my blog and my mission and she said that as a Vancouverite she really doesn't feel like smiling to people and going outside herself.  That she wants to stay in her head, thinking  about her stuff.  But, now with her son, she is seeing the other side.  Her son smiles and says hi to everyone and the people smile and are genuinely touched by his lovely, open manner.  So, with a little coaxing from the smile ambassador, this nice lady might begin smiling more. With her son at her side, she might have no choice.  Back to FS' in our lives.

So, start with a nod to your familiar stranger - then see what transpires.  Perhaps the nod will lead to a chat.  Then the chat will lead to a laugh. Now,  you are laughing when seeing this person whilst going through the maze of your life to get whatever it is that  you need to get done to actually have a life with some semblance of order.  In other words, when going from here to there, share.  And then, the familiar stranger becomes an acquaintance.  An acquaintance can become...who knows?  Open up people!  Now smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment