A Self-Help Blog for Myself and You - Mission: Find more Reasons to Smile!

A SELF-HELP BLOG FOR MYSELF

This is a blog to help me attain my main goal: Happiness. A place to help us Vancouverites reach out to one another on a day to day basis. A how-to on simply smiling to spread more joy in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I will engage, inspire, motivate, lament, reflect, vent, rage, ridicule, and share my personal stories (check out My evil twin Judy's on-line dating journal).

My Mission: Change the Face of Vancouver
Time Line: As Long as it Takes

Why?: To retain My Will to Live


FOLLOW ME!

BECOME A PART OF THE SMILE MOVEMENT!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Am I One of Them?

Since arriving back to Vancouver in June I've worked and worked and cast out net upon net and now, after four months, I'm beginning to see the fruits, or fish, of my labor.  There is a light - as there always was, but now it is more tenable.  But, along with the wins comes this never ending desire for more, More, MORE! 

So, I find myself moving from one destination to the next, brows furrowed in thought, strategizing my next moves, pumped up.  And guess what's happening? I'm turning away from oncoming pedestrians so as not to have to try to engage,  or to avoid the possible disappointment at their lack of engagement.  I too am becoming a Vancouverite just like them.  Because the smiles don't always come so easy, it always takes a bit of work.  Work that is a tad uncomfortable.  Sometimes I don't feel like being uncomfortable - so, I opt out.

But, as the smile ambassador, I was analyzing my recent shift when a woman approached in a black hoody.  The drizzles were hunching us into ourselves while we passed each other by.  But, lo and behold - this woman looked at me and smiled shyly as if it say, "even under this hoody, a smile can lurk."  I mirrored her smile and felt just a bit more happy. Even peaceful.

So, this is to the lady who helped me today by letting me know that I must keep being in the moment, casting my gaze on my fellow Vancouverites, and producing my own easy smile to help theirs come to the surface.  Oh Vancouver, we'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment